Tuesday, December 13, 2016

In this picture political activist Malcom X, professional boxer Muhammad Ali, Cubas political leader Fidel Castro and two others pose with Che Guevara's lifeless body. Shortly after Muhammad Ali was stripped of his boxing title for refusing induction to the army, Fidel Castro granted X and Ali access to show respect to fellow activist Che Guevara.


I chose to add Fidel Castro to the photo because Che was apart Fidel's Army. Although Malcolm X died two years prior to this picture being taken Fidel had met with Malcolm X in Harlem in the 60's to discuss political issues. Both X and Guevara being activists linked to Castro, they seemed suitable for the photo. Muhammad Ali was friends with Malcom X and was a political activist himself. 1967 was a huge year for Ali protesting the government. By Ali being stripped of his title in 1967 ( around the time the original Che Guevara photo was taken) I felt that signified Ali's death in a way. Ali was no longer allowed to box, and stripped of his titles, I viewed that as the death of the world champion. Those things along with his connection with X, I thought that Ali fit in with the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment